I was wondering is there's a sensor or some type of sensor that would detect itself if it's been moved, say if I put the sensor in one end of the table and move it to the other end it will detect that it has been moved?

I have seen some sensors that detects motion like PIR but I think that's not what I'm looking for. So if anyone has an idea of the name I would be glad to check it out.

Even if it's pretty basic it's ok, like there's a receiver to detect the motion or whatever.

1 Answer 1


It sounds like you are looking for something like an accelerometer, or the more complex version, a IMU (inertial measurement unit).

These sensors measure acceleration so can detect when an object goes from being at rest (stationary) to moving. They normally measure in 3 axis so can be used to tell in which (relative) direction the object has moved.

An IMU also includes a gyroscope so can tell if the object rotates as well as moves.

  • thanx i'll check them out.
    – rockStar
    Commented Sep 23, 2018 at 16:39

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.