What would be the most appropriate LPWAN technologies for environmental monitoring in a remote area, given the following:
- The monitoring system would be made up of 3 to 10 nodes located within a circular (star) pattern with a diameter of at least 5 km.
- Each node sends data on a minute's basis.
- The location is a rural/forested area on hilly terrain in Slovenia (southern central Europe)
- The nodes should be energy efficient, however there is a possibility of connecting a central node (gateway) to mains power and the internet using Ethernet.
I am mostly looking into the following technologies:
- GPRS (coverage in the area is not ideal, high energy consumption, sunsetting technology)
- NB-IoT (not yet adopted by network carriers, unknown date)
- Sigfox (no coverage, possibility of deploying a Micro Base Station)
- Ingenu (most promising technology, no info on coverage or local base station possibilities)
- LoRaWAN (no coverage, possibility of deploying a gateway)