After the helpful answers to my last question I got myself a Harmony Hub and it works as I want it to. Basically, it remembers the state of the devices and uses infrared signals to fake the remotes and change to the configured settings when I activate a setup like Watch Fire TV or Watch Blu-Ray. Those two require different input settings for the TV (Toshiba 42SL863G).
However, my second home automation stage is screwing things up a bit. As it turns out my TV defaults to a different base setting when it is shut off compared to losing mains power. Since I want to shut down the whole media circus via smart plug I have two starting points.
- Powering up
- The TV starts automatically
- The Fire TV starts automatically and makes the TV switch to the HDMI it's connected to.
- Surround System doesn't start.
- Just off after being in a known state (TV input either HDMI 1 or 2)
- I start everything by Harmony and the devices go to the desired states
The Harmony Hub doesn't know if the power was off and cannot properly set the input channel. The remote or Harmony does not have a button that just says HDMI 1 or 2. Keeping all the equipment on is not a desired solution. Furthermore I triggering the whole setup via voice command, so I don't have a display that would allow me to see what mode I had been in before.
How do I detect the state of the equipment to switch to the correct input channel automatically?