The number of currently available tools to run and maintain a fleet of IoT devices is staggering. To compare all is not feasible, however a list of the bare minimum required features to look for would speed up the process of finding the one.
Assuming the following requirements:
- Fleet of 50+ devices (RPi or similar)
- After initial setup, only remote access is possible
- High uptime and active monitoring is desirable (GUI/custom notifications)
- Secure OS incl. updates when necessary
- Updates for running applications
- Optionally run untrusted apps containerized
- Communication over GSM with private backend
- VPN support
With that in mind, what are the key criteria to fulfill when looking for deployment and management infrastructure? What architecture decisions must be considered?
Please showcase with examples if possible.